In our beautifully diverse world, we were all created unique and with purpose. Let’s celebrate our differences! These 25+ children’s books about diversity and inclusivity will take your kids into worlds and cultures they may have never seen before, teaching them to treat those who look different with kindness and compassion.
Whether it’s people from cultures around the world, or your next door neighbor who has skin that looks different than yours, these children’s books about diversity celebrate them all. Some speak specifically to inclusion and some tell stories we may have never heard. These books promote love and kindness no matter how different we may appear to each other—a lesson we are responsible for teaching our children as early as possible.
*This post may contain affiliate links! If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we’ll earn a small commission, which helps offset the cost of the blog. Thanks!
Let’s do right by our children and fill our bookshelves with books that celebrate all races, ethnicities and cultures—let’s make our bookshelves as beautifully diverse as the world God created and let’s empower our children to love and celebrate each other.
BOOKS ABOUT DIVERSITY FOR YOUNG CHILDREN
- Strictly No Elephants
- Think Big, Little One – A precious board book that would make a great baby shower gift!
- Beautiful Skin: A Children’s Book about Overcoming Racism
- We’re Different, We’re the Same (Sesame Street)
- Happy in Our Skin
- Skin Like Mine – This book celebrates all shades of skin in such a fun way!
- Different Like Me
- Listening with My Heart: A Story of Kindness and Self-Compassion
- God’s Very Good Idea
- Different: A Story About Loving Your Neighbor
- The Day You Begin – A New York Times Bestseller, this book celebrates diverse stories and acceptance.
- I Am Enough
- The Water Princess
- Our Class is a Family – This cute book celebrates diversity and inclusion in the classroom!
- I Can Do Hard Things: Mindful Affirmations for Kids – Beautiful multicultural illustrations make this book a must read.
- When God Made You
- Hair Love – A beautiful story about a daughter and her father. Heart melt!!
- Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
- Suki’s Kimono – This story is about a young girl embracing and sharing her heritage with her classmates in a fun and whimsical way.
CULTURALLY DIVERSE BOOKS ABOUT HISTORY
- Poet: The Remarkable Story of George Moses Horton – A powerful historical picture book biography to bring awareness to young readers.
- Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson’s Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions
- The Story of Frida Kahlo
- Counting on Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Saved Apollo 13
- Loving vs. Virginia – A beautiful and historic love story.
- When Stars Are Scattered – This book tells the story of two bothers who spent most of their lives in a refugee camp in Kenya. What a wonderful reminder that lives and stories are not all the same.
- The Story of Malala Yousafzai
- Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Familys Fight for Desegregation
- Carter Reads the Newspaper
I hope these children’s books about diversity empower your kids to love who they are and love their neighbor just the same. I pray my children are just as familiar with heroes and historical figures from other cultural backgrounds as they are with their own and that they see the beauty in God’s grand, diverse, and beautiful design!
How do you talk to your kids about diversity and loving each other? Let me know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you!
Like this post? Check out these other posts as well!