Nothing says the holidays like a good ole’ sweet potato pie. This sweet potato pie recipe is the BEST and the easiest you’ll ever make. It may just become a staple in your house, too! 😉
This particular recipe is suuuuper special to me because it came out of a family recipe book my grandparents gave me for Christmas a few years back. I’ve never really been a pumpkin or sweet potato pie fan until I started making this one for my family. Now it’s a favorite in our house and my kids LOVE it!
*This post may contain affiliate links! If you buy something through one of those links, you won’t pay a penny more, but we’ll earn a small commission, which helps offset the cost of the blog. Thanks!
This pie makes a perfect southern style dessert for the holidays… but truthfully, we eat it all year round! Once this pie is finished, we usually squirt a bog ole’ dollop of whipped cream on top and dig right in. (Sometimes we don’t even wait for it to cool.)
WHY WE LOVE SWEET POTATO PIE
As a fairly health conscious mom, I love sweet potato pie for dessert because it actually contains something nutritionally valuable… sweet potatoes! I know, I know, it’s still pie… but at least it has the redeeming quality of also containing one of the best superfoods you can find!
MIX IT UP
Don’t be afraid to mix it up if you want to make it a bit healthier. Sometimes I substitute the brown sugar for coconut sugar and often I will even cut the amount down to 1/4 cup. It doesn’t end up as sweet, but we still love it!
I’ll also use evaporated goat milk in place of the regular if I’m trying to limit dairy. It turns out fantastic that way, too. However you switch it up, this recipe is pretty hard to wreck. It’s just so good!
GRANDPA’S FAVORITE SWEET POTATO PIE
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 9 inch pie shell
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly beat eggs then add spices, milk and sugar. Mix together.
- Fold egg mixture into mashed sweet potatoes.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and place in 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35-45 minutes. Knife should come out clean when done.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Refrigerate!
I hope you love this sweet potato pie recipe as much as we do. Do you have a favorite family recipe you love to make? Share what it is in the comments below!
Check out these other helpful posts, too!
- Check out these 7 Ways to Combat Stay at Home Mom Depression and take you joy back!
- Find out how to get the most out of your UN quiet time with the Lord!
- See these 25+ children’s books about diversity you should add to your bookshelf today!
- Confession: I Don’t Like Being a Stay at Home Mom